Friday, December 14, 2007

My mountain of pills

I have a mountain of pills I have to take. Actually its more a barrage of vitamins that I must take thrice daily. I took a picture of the mountain a few weeks ago that I had been intending to post here, but never got around to it. For whatever reason I am unable to post it here now. But I have double the amount to take now, so it seems the old picture is obsolete.

I have increased my adrenal glandular to 6 capsules daily, and also my vitamin C has been increased to "bowel tolelrance" so I'm taking about 25,000 mg of that per day. I also added 100 mg of zinc as my hair is falling out rapidly and it is seriously disturbing me. I heard that zinc helps it to grow faster, so hoping that by my taking more zinc it will help it grow IN faster than it has been.

Barely 25 years old, my body is deteriorating at a fast rate. I believe a lot of it has to do with poor food choices. Had I ever been given the choice of eating a few carrot sticks or an entire pizza, I have always chosen pizza. Naughty, naughty me. Until a year ago I knew squat about nutrition, at least, I never cared about it. I was one of those twiggy kids who could eat a horse into the ground and never think twice. Even as a teen,when my body was giving signs of duress and adding on a few unwanted pounds every now and then, it was always easy to shed them. All I would do was continue to eat those pizzas and exercise even longer, or harder. I reasoned with myself that its okay to not change my eating habbits. After all, I enjoy exercising so what if I spent an extra hour at the gym? At least it wasn't unpleasant.

Then I met my husband. He has just as bad, if not worse eating habits than I do. He could eat pizza and burgers every day and not think twice. We married very quickly after we began dating. 6 months to be exact. I was away doing training with the Army for 3 of those months. We were essentially strangers when we married. And within 3 months I was pregnant! Yipee!!!Food freedom here I come!

There is an old saying about mother's eating for two when they are pregnant. I fully embraced that old saying. Oh yes I made good food choices and bad ones right along with them. I would eat a big salad with low fat dressing and in the same sitting (or within the next two hours) I would eat a big mac and large fry and head over to TCBY for a large frozen yogurt. Its amazing how much I ate while pregnant. I still worked out, but there was no way my body was able to handle the stress of an unstable marriage (the stranger factor), a pregnancy and way too many calories for one person to possibly be able to handle.

I balooned up like a beached whale and by the time I gave birth was tipping the scales and inching my way nearer and nearer to 300 lbs. Many people didn't even know I was pregnant, I looked that bad. But fortunately within one week of birthing my daughter I had lost about 60+ lbs of water weight. Leaving me at about 220 and utterly exhausted. I'm extremely glad now that I have the knowledge and medical aide to get me back to my appropriate weight. This time doing all the right things, and not just some of them. ;)

No comments: