Saturday, October 27, 2007

Curly Girl Challenge -- Day 1, & 2

So the other day I got the book Curly Girl from my library. My daughter Sybil has curly hair so I thought I should read up on how to take care of her hair. My hair has always been straight with some amount of body to it but nothing special, just straight hair that would tweak out on me every so often. So yesterday I put Sybil and myself on a Curly Girl challenge to see what happens.
My scalp is always itchy nowadays and I did a brown sugar and conditioner rub on it to exfoliate (recipe in book). Seemed to help a bit at first but after a few hrs my scalp was still pretty itchy!

So here are the results from day 1:
Its a little bit curly and a lot frizzy but I didn't have any hair care products for it yet other than conditioner.

Day 2:

So last night I went out and bought some things for mine and Sybil’s hair. It took me a while to find things that didn’t have gross ingredients in them like mineral oil and petroleum jelly. ACK! Can you say yucky? If mineral oil and petroleum are bad for our skin why-o-why would someone think its okay to put on our scalp and skin? Sheesh. Anyway, I did find some clear gel that didn’t have too many bad ingredients in it and some oil for my scalp. The gel is made by LA long aid and its called Activator Gel and the oil is called African Royale Hot Six Oil.

The ingredients list for the hot oil are: olive oil, canola oil (vegetable oil), wheat germ, sweet almond oil (which gives it a nice soft smell), safflower oil, castor oil. Sesame oil, vitamin E, A, & D, cyclomethicone, sheep sorrell, yarrow, slippery Elm Bark, sage, henna, comfrey, burdock root, ginseng, goldenseal, cherry bark, black walnut, chamomile, alfalfa, hyssop, wheat germ and fragrance. Those are all names that I can pronounce. If I can pronounce them that must mean that they are real. :)
This morning I sprayed my hair with a little bit of conditioner and water and then scrunched gel into it. I think I used too luch gel but I was trying to get it to not be frizzy. There is always tomorrow. I also added the Hot Six Oil to my scalp and every time it itches I put some on my finger and rub that spot. That has been giving me some relief. We will see if my hair doesn;t just turn into a stringy mess in a week or two. I think its curlier today than it was yesterday. But I will definately try less gel tomorrow.

Hiding my forever pale face today. :p I haven't quite figured out a way to turn off the flash without having really bad camera shake that distorts the picture. But the flash is horrible for my complexion!


Here is a picture of Sybil's hair yesterday and today also. This top one is with her hair pinned up to help enhance the bottom curls.

































Such a pretty curly girl!

No comments: